Technology is great and we cannot deny it’s importance in our daily life. But what if the gadgets start overpowering us and take the complete control of our especially kids’ thoughts, actions and overall behavior? One word – Dangerous!
Some days I wrote a piece on the same topic and around the same time I caught hold of this book – I would call it a Guide actually because it helps parents to combat the ill-effects of screen time and make it calmer, easier and happier for all in the family.
Do you have these complaints or hear this often from your friends, relatives and colleagues?
- My Daughter spends most of her time and she is on computer for hours. What she exactly does?
- My teenagers bring phone to the dinner table, no matter how many times I remind them to focus on food and conversation.
- The moment they are back from school, they start using gadgets and never-ending screen time starts.
This and many such scenarios are pretty common in households now-a-days and that is why a guide like “Calmer, Easier, Happier Screen Time by Noël Janis-Norton” is such a great help.
Noël Janis-Norton is a learning and behavior specialist with more than 40 years’ experience helping parents and teachers on both sides of the Atlantic.
I am reading it and enjoying my book time. Frankly speaking, it already made me kick out some of my own screen time! I remember myself as an avid reader till the mobile devices took over. There is a need to get back to books already for me.
Well, coming back to this awesome book, in the first few pages itself, you will realize that the examples stated are so so relate-able and you start getting kind of glued to the book. What I liked about this book is that it’s not asking to ditch or deny the technology completely. It just underlines the importance of prioritizing other aspects of life rather than becoming slaves of screen time.
The book is divided into 3 sections.
- First Section – Here author emphasizes why the parents need to get back in charge.
- Second Section – It focuses on How to get back in charge of the electronics in your home
- Third Section – Illustrates the strategies that will make the new screen habits easier to establish
- There is a summary section towards the end and appendix doling out links to online and other resources.
HIGHLY Recommended for parents who are getting worried about the increasing ill-effects of screen time and want to take charge of the situation and make it positive.
TITLE: Calmer, Easier, Happier Screen Time
AUTHOR: Noël Janis-Norton
PUBLISHER: Yellow Kite, Hodder and Stoughton Ltd.
Distributed by: Pansing Book Distribution
Availability: at all the leading bookstores in Singapore and Malaysia