This time, Singapore Desi puts a thinking cap and analyses her experience of being the “Only” child of her parents..
Here is the summary –
1. There is often one misconception that people have about kids that are “only one” of their parents. Wow, you must have got everything, your wish is like parents’ command…True and Not True! Yes, you do get all the love of your parents and all the scolding too…:D…Lol..It gets annoying when people bind you to a stereotype of “spoilt brat”…
2. Since you are the only child, you don’t have to share toys, clothes, your anything!! All is exclusively yours..Hurray! When you are a kid, it really makes you very happy. 🙂 🙂3. Being the “only” child means you are center of attention of your parents 24X7..Very good but sometimes too interfering it can get especially in teen years.. 😛
4. You have no idea what to do on special days like Siblings Day etc. You can have cousins but over a period of time, realization strikes that it is always very special and different to have your “own” bro / sis…
5. You grow up to be very friendly with outsiders – classmates, colleagues and appear to be extrovert..Outings, parties, events – you will be the life of the party..Though, deep down in your heart, you are an introvert and difficult to open up to strangers.
6. You love animals a lot and tend to care for them. I remember having 10 cats at one point of time in my home and one of the cat, I considered as my brother.. :O
7. You become very sentimental when brother-sister songs start playing..At least for me, I always get teary-eyed for my never-born bro..
8. You will never be able to truly understand emotions like sibling rivalry and revelry..and You will never have someone to bully, to play with, to complain about, to learn from..
9. As you grow old and your parents older, you will start getting that haunting feeling of what will happen when your parents are gone…You will not have anyone to share their memories, to talk about them, to miss them..
Of course, by then, own set of family – hubby and kids will be there with you…But still… 🙁
Ya, ya, it is not that bad to be the only kid, it has its own advantages too..Though, in retrospection, I might have been a better person with siblings around.
So if possible, parents, do give a sibling to your kid 🙂 🙂
Disclaimer: this post is completely based on personal experience.