Dal Pakwan is a Sindhi delicacy and my mom introduced this dish in our kitchen when I was a child. We are not Sindhis so it was a welcome change from usual dishes..
I had forgotten about it for some years and discovered it again when one of the friends cooked it and posted photos on the FB..now I make it whenever my taste buds crave for it!!
It is a heavy dish and can be a good brunch option. Easy-to-make, wholesome and yummylicious..
Here is the recipe –
1. Soak 1 1/2 bowl of gram daal in water for 1-2 hours.
2. Make harder dough of wheat flour, ajwain and cumin seeds, salt, a bit of semolina and 1-2 tablespoons of ghee.
3. Boil gram daal in a pressure cooker in such a way that daal retains its grainy texture.
4. Make sweet chutney of dates, jaggery and tamarind. We are going to use it later while serving dal Pakwan.
5. Now time to make Daal..boil daal by adding spices like chilli powder, coriander-cumin powder, aamchur etc.
You can keep the consistency thicker or thinner according to your liking. I kept it a bit thinner since wanted to use the same daal for eating rice later..LOL!
6. Prepare tadka in another small pan. Ingredients – lots of ghee, chopped green chilli, ginger, cumin seeds
7. Pour it on the boiling daal..mix well..season it with some chopped coriander..Daal is ready!! 🙂 🙂
8. Now Pakwan time. It is essentially thicker and not-puffed puri..
9. Roll some dough prepared in step 2 into Pakwan. Make some patterns on it with a fork so that it won’t be puffing..
10. Fry it till it turns golden brown in hot ghee. Wah! Nice aroma filling your kitchen already 🙂 🙂
11. Ready to serve! Daal, Pakwan layered with sweet chutney (made in Step 4) and finely chopped onion.
Disclaimer: images in this post are of personal in nature and cannot be reproduced without prior consent.