On our SINdiapore forum [https://facebook.com/groups/SINdiapore], we keep on getting frequent questions regarding helpers [many people call them “maids”, I prefer to call them as “helper” 🙂 ]. Official term is FDW – Foreign Domestic Worker.
When I first came in SG in 2006 and started searching the job, the first question that I faced was – Who will take care of my daughter? Do I have to leave in the child care center whole day? How will I manage house chores and hubby and daughter and job???
Hubby instantly came with a solution – HIRE a live-in HELPER..Ta da!!
In SG, it is extremely easy to find a suitable helper. Simple hiring process enforced by MOM, numerous of agencies and helpers from different countries are available in abundance.
So far, I have employed Philipina and Indonesian helpers. Helpers from India, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Myanmar etc. can be hired too.
Let me list down a few resources for you –
- How to hire a helper – https://www.ecitizen.gov.sg/Topics/Pages/Foreign-domestic-helpers-How-to-hire.aspx
- Guidelines before you hire a helper – http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/passes-visas/work-permit-fdw/before-you-apply/Pages/default.aspx
- More about Employer’s Orientation program – http://www.mom.gov.sg/services-forms/passes/work-permit-fdw/Pages/eop.aspx
- Online database of helper resumes and agencies – http://www.netmaid.com.sg/ and http://www.mom.gov.sg/eadirectory/Pages/search.aspx
Once you hire a helper, as an employer, it is your responsibility to take care of the well-being of her. Certain points that we need to keep in mind as an employer –
- Helper stays away from her family for supporting them. You’ll need to give her some emotional support and patient ears for her issues
- Give her time to learn and adjust at your home
- Take care of her safety and health
- Give her enough rest everyday. (other than agreed rest days per month)
- Make an concious effort to treat her as a family member. Give and Take is necessary in every relationship!
Note: reproduction or reuse of information in this blog is not allowed without prior permission of the author.